Summary of Qualifications
PACE Communications Editor, Digital 2013 – present
Create and produce award-winning digital tutorials and stories with heart.
King’s English Content Director 2008 – 2009
Writer and online media strategist. Managing Editor of a leadership development magazine “100th Monkey;” Assistant Producer for ArtBeat 2009, the city’s annual arts event.
The Dotmatrix Project Co-founder and Assistant Producer 2008 – 2009
A monthly collaboration between local bands, photographers, and filmmakers, working to document one evening’s performance and publish the media online.
Kindermusik International Senior Writer – 2002 to 2008
- Combine child development research, creative play activities, video clips, and music downloads into one interactive enewsletter for Kindermusik famillies called Tune In.
- Produced documentary film in multiple locations to tell one story about five extraordinary Kindermusik Educators. Published the video on YouTube to foster community.
- Created the initial Kindermusik blog which led to the training of a couple hundred Educators on the community power of blogging and modern Web services.
- Research various angles of Universal Pre-K and child development issues, trends, and current events to establish Kindermusik’s marketing program.
News & Record
General Assignment Reporter – 2000-2002
Covered City Council, courts, and neighborhood stories, as well as national stories with a local impact.
News & Observer
Journalism Intern – 1999
General assignment stories and breaking news.
Assistant to the Managing Editor – 1997-1999
Elon University 1992-1996
Bachelor of Arts in English with a concentration in Creative Writing
Minor in Art and Jazz studies
Awards and horn-blowing
- Co-founder of Wurlitzer Prize, a vintage country and alt-americana band 2012
- Digital Strategist and musician for “Vote Against Amendment One,” 2012 – a multi-media collaboration in digital activism
- Guest speaker on using Twitter in Journalism, Wake Forest University’s Journalism class 2009 – 2011 – with Triad Business Journal’s Executive Editor Justin Catanoso
- Semi-finalist in the Zac Brown Sailing Southern Ground Songwriter Contest, 2010 – for the song John Cash Jeans
- Assistant Music Director, 2009 – to songwriter Laurelyn Dossett in “Providence Gap” and “Beautiful Star,” the original plays-with-music at Triad Stage
- Social Media guest speaker, 2009 – High Point University’s Design, Art & Technology Symposium
- Amie Street Top 50 Best Albums of the Year, 2007 – “Girl with Slingshot.”
- Audience Choice, 2006 – Produced the soundtrack for award-winning film in the 48 Hour Film Festival
- Distinguished Achievement Award, 2004 – For Excellence in Educational Publishing for the e-newsletter Tune In
- Distinguished Achievement Award Finalist, 2003 – For Excellence in Educational Publishing for the e-newsletter Tune In
- Community Journalism Award, 2002 – For covering a series of oral histories on black history in High Point, NC